skip to content

About this journal

This journal was founded by Barthold Georg Niebuhr, August Böckh and Christian August Brandis in 1827, and volumes appeared under the title Rheinisches Museum für Philologie, Geschichte und griechische Philosophie until 1829/32. From 1832/33 until 1839 the journal was continued by Friedrich Gottlieb Welcker and August Ferdinand Naeke under the title Rheinisches Museum für Philologie. In 1842 the New Series of Rheinisches Museum für Philologie was started by Friedrich Ritschl and Friedrich Gottlieb Welcker, and it has continued with annual volumes ever since (cf. also C.W. Müller, Das Rheinische Museum für Philologie 1842–2007. Zum Erscheinen des 150. Bandes der Neuen Folge, RhM 150, 2007, 1–7).
Hence the Rheinisches Museum für Philologie is the oldest journal devoted to Classics that is still in existence. Since the beginning it has published scholarly articles (in German, English, French, Italian and Latin) on the languages, literature and history of the Greek and Roman world and its reception. Today the journal has an international scope with contributors across the globe (ERIH classification 2011: INT 1). Articles accepted by Rheinisches Museum are published in print first and are made available online on the journal’s homepage free of charge three years after publication; Rheinisches Museum is also available via JSTOR.
To maintain the journal’s traditional high academic standards all submissions are reviewed prior to publication by at least two scholars who are experts in the respective fields and who may be members of the editorial board or drawn from a pool of qualified readers.
For further information about the journal please contact the editors at Peter.Schenk[at]uni-koeln.de or st.schroeder62[at]gmx.de.

Editors of Rheinisches Museum für Philologie since 1827

 

Rheinisches Museums für Philologie, Geschichte und griechische Philosophie (1827-1829/32)

1827 August Böckh, Barthold Georg Niebuhr, Christian August Brandis
1828-1829/32 Barthold Georg Niebuhr, Christian August Brandis

 

Rheinisches Museum für Philologie (1832/33-1839)

1832/33-1839 Friedrich Gottlieb Welcker, August Ferdinand Naeke

 

Rheinisches Museum für Philologie. Neue Folge (1842 - today)

1842-1849 Friedrich Gottlieb Welcker, Friedrich Wilhelm Ritschl
1850-1854 Friedrich Gottlieb Welcker, Friedrich Wilhelm Ritschl, Jacob Bernays
1855-1868 Friedrich Gottlieb Welcker, Friedrich Wilhelm Ritschl
1869 Friedrich Gottlieb Welcker, Friedrich Wilhelm Ritschl, Anton Klette
1870-1875 Friedrich Wilhelm Ritschl, Anton Klette
1876 Friedrich Wilhelm Ritschl, Otto Ribbeck, Anton Klette
1877-1898 Otto Ribbeck, Franz Bücheler
1899-1904 Franz Bücheler, Hermann Usener
1905 Franz Bücheler, Hermann Usener, August Brinckmann
1906-1908 Franz Bücheler, August Brinckmann
1909-1920 August Brinckmann
1924-1934 Friedrich Marx
1935-1956 Ernst Bickel
1957-1960 Ernst Bickel, Hans Herter
1961-1984 Hans Herter
1985-1996 Carl Werner Müller (since 1991 in collaboration with Bernd Manuwald and Clemens Zintzen)
1997-2012 Bernd Manuwald (in collaboration with Carl Werner Müller and Clemens Zintzen, since 2003 also with Stephan Schröder)
2013-2016 René Nünlist and Peter Schenk (in collaboration with Bernd Manuwald, Carl Werner Müller, Markus Schauer, Stephan Schröder and Clemens Zintzen)
2017- Peter Schenk and Stephan Schröder (in collaboration with Bernd Manuwald, Carl Werner Müller, René Nünlist, Markus Schauer and Clemens Zintzen)